Tuesday, 03 May 2011

Short version of the last two months of work

I just wrote a short post for the blog of my university in Germany and thought "well, let's put it also in this blog". And here we go:

...only 2 weeks left in Cape Town, but until then a big event is around the corner - the Indaba in Durban, one of the biggest trade shows in Africa. There I'm going to present SAYTC together with my two colleagues.

What is SAYTC?

SAYTC stands for South African Youth Travel Confederation and is a non-profit organistation that is financed by membership fees. The main aim of this company is to market South Africa internationally as a preferred Youth Travel Destination.

Over 200 members are part of the confederation which can be divided into 4 sectors:

-Backpacking SA (accommodation)
-Education SA (language schools)
-Tours & Transport SA (tour operators)
-Volunteering SA (VolunTourism)

My work in Cape Town!

I can consider myself lucky and claim that I got involved in the work from the beginning. Next to everyday work like the completion of the membership lists, I was entrusted with tasks like

  • Benchmarking of Youth Travel Organisations of the SADC countries Namibia, Botswana, Zimabwe and Mozambique
  • Preperation of the annual conference (still in progress)
  • Moola Magic Marketing
Moola Magic can be seen as the "customer loyalty program" of SAYTC, that offers discount at nearly every SAYTC member.

Moreover the participation of two meetings (VolSA & GardenRoute) allowed me a deeper inside into the company and let me meet some of the many members in person. The Garden Route meeting also enabled us to combine it with a short holiday. The accommodation we stayed at were all SAYTC members of course!

Now, the experience South Africa is nearly over. And tomorrow I have to pack my bag...but firstly luckily "only" for Durban.




No comments:

Post a Comment